Friday, June 15, 2007

A Freaky Find!



As you know, we've been working on my front porch stairs. While everything is torn up, my father decided he would water-proof that section of the basement, so he began to dig out that area.


Little did he realize that the clay, granite and bricks weren't the only things he had tossed onto the pile!


As I was watering my flowers, I noticed something white and sparkly amongst (yes, KH, I said amongST) the granite. I picked it up, thinking it was marble, and realized, it was just a crumbly old rock... until I flipped it over. There was writing on it.


I saw several other pieces, then realized what I was holding!


It was a GRAVESTONE!!!


I was totally freaking out from the excitement of the find!


I called to Annie and she took one look at it and said, "I can help you put this puzzle together, Mommy."


Then, when I told her what it was, she exclaimed, "See! I told you Blookie Nu was real!!"


Blookie Nu has been Annie's imaginary friend since she was two years old... ironically... when we moved into this house.


So, that sort of freaked me out, too, but not too much. I don't really mind that my daughter has an imaginary friend, until she starts arguing with him, because that's just weird. Anyway, I guess finding a tombstone under one's stairs can be a little creepy, but, I'm not scared. It is a little disconcerting, though.


Now, the tombstone is laying on my front porch. From what I gather, it says

"Mary A"

"J & E Fought"

"Died"

"Jan. 30, 1876"

"Aged"

"1 y & 12 d"


What do YOU think???

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As creepy as it might be... I think it's totalllly neat that it's exposed itself....I hope you put it back together as best you can and find a prominant area near where you found it. After all.... it is their resting place. Wouldn't it be neat to find out more about them..... looks like you have some history in your yard.

Anonymous said...

Very Cool Amy! I would do some research & see what you can find out about this. Maybe someone at the library or local historical society can help you out.

How big is it? From the pic it looks small - almost thought it was for a pet or something. Interesting about the "imaginary friend" - makes ya go "hmmmmm......" doesn't it? :)

Elena said...

HOLY COW - That is so cool! You have to keep us updated and research who this could have been... Thanks for sharing! :)

Anonymous said...

Tres cool, Amy! If the size is truly small and the words "1 y & 12 d" are accurate (which I have no reason to doubt), it may be an infant's headstone. If you live in a fairly small town in Ohio, it would be easy, I'd think, to check it out with 1) the library; 2) the historical society if you have one; or 3) the nearest college/university that has an Anthropology Dept. and/or History Dept. Keep us posted! Nuthin' better than a good mystery.